Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Envy = BAD

http://www.scrapbook.com/blogs/108621/view/121821.html

I read a great blog today at scrapbook.com (link is up there). This blog was about envy, and it made me stop and realize that I am far too envious of other people. I know that I am not that bad of a person, and that I am grateful for what I have, but I can't help but get a little envious of other people when they have things that I don't have.

  • I am envious of people who have more financial security than we do, and I look at our debt and bills, and I wonder if we will ever be able to pull ourselves out of this hole we have dug. I want to be able to go out to dinner every night, and not have to worry if we have enough in the checking account to cover the groceries. BUT I don't often think of the good things. I should be more grateful that I am able to work only part-time (who cares about going out to dinner), so that I can spend as much time as possible with our new child.
  • I am envious of all the new and cool scrapbooking products. I should be thinking about all of the great scrapbooking stuff that I still have yet to use.
  • I am envious of the girls who lose their pregnancy weight fast. I should be grateful for my healthy pregnancy, and for the beautiful, healthy baby boy that calls me "mom."
  • I am envious of the people who are my age (28) that are already in their careers, while I am still trying to get through college, because I chose to join the US Army when I graduated highschool. I should be grateful for the experience, the friends, and the travelling I got to do while I was in the Army. Many will never have the opportunity to visit Korea, or shoot a grenade launcher, drive a humvee, and work with the best bunch of army guys in the world.
  • I am envious of the girls who are always made up, and their hair is always stunning. I should be grateful for the fact that my fiancee thinks I am more beautiful without makeup (he really does, which is wierd), and could care less if my hair is constantly in a pony tail. Plus I am never "forced" to wear high-heel shoes!
  • I am envious of the students who never have to work hard in school, and I get angry that I have to study so much to stay ahead. I should be grateful that I will have a greater appreciation for all of my good grades, especially knowing how hard I worked for them.
  • I am envious of people who drive nice cars. I should be grateful for the fact that I can still afford to put gas in mine.

The fact of the matter is that I am more envious of others than I care to admit. When I should be dwelling on the things that matter, sometimes I dwell on the things that don't. My middle of the year resolution is to be grateful for the love that fills my life, the roof over my head, and the food that I have, when I know many people in the world don't. The things that are the most important: family, friends, health, and love are all prevalent in my world, and I should remember that. Whenever I start to get envious I will come back and read this blog, and hopefully it will put things in perspective. I do not want to be as materialistic as I am, and I am hoping that I can change that!

3 comments:

  1. So honest! Thanks for sharing your self-evaluation. Here's the verse that I use to remind myself when I feel envious or ungrateful.

    Philippians 4:11-13
    Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. 12 I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. 13 For I can do everything through Christ,[c] who gives me strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, we all need a gentle reminder from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all let me salute you for your military service, thank you!

    I have learned not to be envious of others and those that have more than me because it only prevented me from having more.

    If you are envious of others, you are sending out bad thoughts, therefore what you send out you get back. I learned the hard way.

    So everytime you catch yourself being envious of someone or something, send them blessings and say you are happy for them because those same happy thoughts and blessings will come back to you instead of the bad ones you send out.

    You said it yourself, you "dwell" and as for the envy blog, she also says its her "mentality." Meaning it is the way we think that does us harm. If you can learn to catch your thoughts, you will be one step ahead. God says "Be still and know that I am God." Psalms 46:10

    If you can learn to still your thoughts you will see a big difference.

    Thank you for being so honest. Our hearts are always pure, it's our thoughts that are sometimes unpure.

    As for my new grandbaby, she is four months old and I haven't had a chance to meet her yet and I feel sad because of it. She was suppose to come down in June but now I must wait till December.

    ReplyDelete