Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Road To Nowhere.


Today, Trey, Liam, and me decided to go to the "Road To Nowhere." I hadn't been in years, and I knew that it would be a nice walk.

The Road To Nowhere is a historical attraction in WNC. It is a road that was started in 1943. Back in the day, when the US government decided to build a dam for WNC they needed land. They asked the local landowners (Native Americans) to sell their land at unreasonably low prices. Some complied and some refused. When people refused, the government condemned their land and took it anyway. It was pretty darn shitty, but people are continually hurting other people, so what else is new, in this world.

The government promised the people two things...
1. reimbursement to Swain County for flooding the road (Hwy 288) and
2. to build a road that would give the people who were forced out access to the 28+ cemetaries that they would no longer be able to reach.

Over the years, people have promised that this road would be finished. It is now 2009 and in the same shape it was in, while I was in highschool. It's a pretty sad story.

Here are some of the pictures from our trip today!

This is some graffitti that was inside the tunnel.

Here are some pictures of the tunnel. That's little Liam in his stroller.


This is the spot where the road ends and it becomes soil and dirt. Past that there are some really good hiking trails.
In total, I took almost 300 photos today. Some I loved, some were so-so, and some went straight into my recycling bin. Here's some other photos I took today.
As part of a challenge on sb.com, I took pictures of some doors today.
I also got some pictures of these really pretty daisies. My favorite flower.

I also got this really cool shot of a dandelion!









8 comments:

  1. Wow you got some great photos! I love the tunnel ones the best especially with all the green foliage. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...that is a really sad story :( I hate to think about the things we do to each other as people...

    Your daisy picture is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures, and thanks for sharing about the Road to Nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some AWESOME pictures Margy. Makes me want to take a photography class so I can take awesome pics too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story thanks for sharing...in Canada we here a lot of those kinds of stories as well. I love the shot you have through the tunnel looking out into the trees it is a beautiful shot and makes you want to go there :) Your door shots are awesome as well I actually like the first one the best. Daisies are my fave flower as well, great shot of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I just love the photo looking out of the tunnel - absolutely stunning!!

    ReplyDelete